Case Study: Tiger Trailers
Founded in 2014, Tiger Trailers is one of the UK’s leading trailer and bodywork manufacturers and is based in Winsford, Cheshire. Having grown significantly over a period of three years, the company quickly outgrew its original production facility requiring them to find new premises’.Construction of a new 14,400 sq. m factory for Tiger Trailers began in the summer of 2018 and will enable the company to double annual production output to around 3000 trailers and bodies creating a further 120 skilled jobs over the next three years.
Tiger Trailers wanted to remain in Winsford in order to retain its strong team and their new site will allow them to speed up delivery times enabling them to branch out into new sectors including the blooming home delivery market as well as temperature-controlled bodies and trailers.
The new state-of-the-art building will utilise energy efficient heat pump heating and cooling systems as well as high efficiency LED lighting throughout the offices and production area, each with automated lighting controls.
Tiger Trailers stated that the working environment on the shop floor was incredibly important to them and were aiming to provide the best working conditions in the industry. Nortek Global HVAC under the Reznor brand was able to provide the ideal heating solution and meet this goal.
The 14,400 sq. m factory consists of four factory bays requiring one temperature zone per bay. Reznor met the clients’ requirements by providing burners just within the building, which allowed the production area to be free of any serviceable equipment at high level. The fuel-efficient burners have capacities from 50 to 400kW; they are modulation and inverter driven providing 96% thermal efficiency. The radiant strip from one burner can cover up to 150m guaranteeing even heat distribution.
Natural ventilation will be boosted by a super efficient heat recovery ventilation system, which is to be employed within the offices, while gas-fired radiant heating will be used throughout the production area ensuring the facility gains an overall ‘A’ rating for efficiency. The new heating system comprises of Sonning2 OHA RHE modulating gas-fired radiant heating in the main production area with 4 x Sonning2 OHA RHE systems, one in each bay. The system provides an even and comfortable heat distribution for medium to large industrial, commercial facilities using gas or diesel oil. The system also utilises a combustion unit that can be installed inside and/or outside the building being heated, the radiant emitter is a heat-transmitting duct with an insulated canopy. The Sonning2 OHA RHE system is flexible in design; to the requirement of the user or the constraints of the building structure.
The Sonning2 OHA RHE system is designed to provide uniform heat coverage over the entire floor area. The system can also cater for distinct zones providing a varied degree of comfort level within the overall layout of the building. It is a gas-fired radiant tube heating system with either individual or external burner, which employ 80% re-circulation and is designed specifically for the building it is required to heat. Nortek worked closely with the design team to determine the specific design parameters for the OHA layout in order to achieve the most effective Sonning2 OHA RHE system.
Tiger relocated its employees and equipment to the brand new production facility in early 2019, the site includes provision for a second build phase which could be accommodated in the future increasing production capacity to approximately 5000 trailers and bodies per year without disruption to existing production. The company is also part of the Northern Powerhouse Partnership which is an independent body launched in 2016 to represent the voice of business and civic leaders across the North of England with the objective of creating the prosperous, modern economic powerhouse that has the critical mass to drive a wealth of opportunities; a North where companies choose to invest and create jobs, and people choose to live because there is a high quality of life, rising living standards and everyone is supported to reach their full potential.
Sonning2 OHA RHE product
- Sonning2 OHA RHE modulating gas fired radiant heating was specified by Anderson Green consulting Engineers as the heating for the main factory production area and installed by Mechanical & Electrical contractor; H.E.Barnes Ltd of Sheffield
- 4 x Sonning2 OHA RHE systems – one per bay
- External or internal burner
- No serviceable parts within the heated area (external burner)
- No fuel distribution within the building (external burner)
- High performance blown air, mono-flame and mono-nozzle low NOx premix and burner
- Fuel efficient burners with capacities from 50 to 400kW
- Modulation and inverter driven, 96% thermal efficiency – (RHE only)
- Radiant tube lengths from 25 to 400m
- Radiant tube diameter of; 300 or 400mm
- No system noise within heated area (external burner)
- The Sonning2 OHA RHE system provides an even and comfortable heat distribution for medium to large industrial, commercial facilities using gas or diesel oil
- The Sonning2 OHA RHE system utilises a combustion unit that can be installed inside and/or outside the building being heated, the radiant emitter is a heat transmitting duct with an insulated canopy
- The system is flexible in design; to the requirements of the user or the constraints of the building structure
- The radiant strip from one burner can cover up to 150m guaranteeing even heat distribution
- High efficiency system through the unique design of the combustion unit which employs 80% re-circulation
- Low surface temperature radiant emitter
Benefits of Radiant Heat in large factories;-
- Radiant heating mounted at high level provides comfort at floor level without causing air movement.
- Reduced stratification – minimises roof fabric and ventilation losses.
- Radiant heat does not have to heat the volume of the building, as would be the case if warm air had been installed
- Air infiltration from large open doors has negligible effect on comfort levels.
- Radiant heat warms; floors, surfaces, tools, improving working environment.
- Radiant heat can reduce the condensation on the product being manufactured
- Eliminates the need for a plant room, further reducing building and operational costs.
- Provides rapid response to changed conditions compared to comparative heating systems.
- Systems can be easily controlled to provide varying zoned temperature and operating times
- Reduced operational running costs compared to warm air systems
- Easy to install and maintain on an annual basis
- Area 14,400 m2
- Height 14m
- Volume 200,000 m3
- Heaters 4 x Sonning2 OHA RHE burners one per bay